Friday 24 April 2015

So Fetch Friday: Movies from the Library + Black Mass Trailer


I know it's been a few weeks, but I'm back! My Friday's have been kind of eaten up the last few weeks. It was a long weekend for Easter a few weeks ago, and then, my husband and I were in Ireland for the past 2 Fridays! We had a really great time. So much cool stuff there to see. That Irish countryside is just incredible! If you ever have the chance to go to this country, you should! The people were so sweet and kind and the country itself is gorgeous!





In that time, I haven't been able to do a whole lot, movies and TV wise. We've been watching more of Mad Men recently, and watched a few episodes while on holiday. Finally starting to get more interesting, thankfully. I've also really started getting into Gilmore Girls. I mean, how can you not love this show? Actually, I do understand how some people wouldn't, but you know what I mean. Lauren Graham is kind of just the greatest. But yeah, I've finally finished the 1st season after like 10 trillion years and I've moved in the 2nd season. Definitely a show I enjoy, even if my husband doesn't and it means less time to watch it if he doesn't want to watch it. 

Anyway, since we got back from Ireland, I have had 10 million movies waiting at the library for me, so we caught up on a few of those this week!

Finally, I've watched Unbroken. Honestly, I don't think it deserves the flack it gets. Like, a 51% on RottenTomatoes? Personally, I don't see how it's score that low. I mean, it's not a fantastic movie, but it's not nearly that bad. The movie had long stretches of actually being quite good (the POW scenes, the scenes in the boat, every time Dohmnall Gleeson was on screen) just to be ruined by incredibly cheesy moments (usually including the line "if you can take it, you can make it"). But otherwise, I thought the movie was decently done. A little amateur, sure, but decent. It may've more shown us the highlights reel of Louie Zamperini's life instead of us actually getting to know who he was as person, leaving him completely two-dimensional, but it wasn't as terrible as I've heard. However, what did actually make me disappointed was where the movie chose to cut off. I knew it was cutting off there, but the ironic thing is that Louie (according to his biography) was actually really broken after the war. He became an alcoholic and had bad PTSD (for obvious reasons). By cutting off after the war ends, leaving his PTSD, his coming to Faith, his return to Japan and his forgiving his POW guards, those things were the complete meaning behind the title of Unbroken. It's these things that bring the story full circle. To only tell half the story seemed like a letdown. 

Also, we got a chance to watch Top Five. Now, I hadn't watched a trailer, and did see the rating was 18A, so I was a little nervous going in because I don't enjoy really hard R-rated movies. And there were those 2 or 3 scenes that could've been much more tame, much shorter and much less raunchy, had it wanted to be. Those I found disappointing. But the overall film, I thought was actually quite good and pretty funny! I actually quite like Chris Rock, I think he's a funny guy. And I mean, I know he's pretty smart, but this movie does show how intelligent he actually is. Again, the really raunchy bits were so unnecessary and ruined it a little bit, but we did enjoy it. 

I also got around to watching Ida, which one Best Foreign Language Film just a few months ago at the Oscars. I wasn't overly impressed, to be honest. Maybe because I'm still a little jet-lagged and was quite tired while watching, but I just kind of shrugged. 

So have you guys seen the trailer for Johnny Depp's new movie, Black Mass? If not, check it out below. This has thrown the film completely onto my radar and I'm very excited to see how this all plays out. The trailer is incredibly tense and extremely well cut, so I'm curious to see how the rest of the film is. Anyway, Johnny Depp looks like he could actually give an Oscar-worthy performance here, so I'm very excited to see if he makes a comeback. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment